Nelson & District Hospice Society
The care provided by Nelson & District Hospice Society aims to make the last months of life comfortable, peaceful and dignified for clients and their caregivers by providing care, support, respite and advocacy. Hospice can begin to work with anyone as soon after diagnosis as the client chooses, as many of our services can provide support for the entire journey with a terminal or chronic, life-limiting illness.
Nelson & District Hospice Society’s trained volunteers work as part of a caregiving team that could include community home nursing, doctors, hospital and facility staff, social workers and spiritual leaders. NDHS services can be provided in the hospital, residential care facilities or in the client’s home. Well-trained volunteers provide confidential support than can include:
- Phone calls and visits with clients and families to give emotional support
- Help with practical day to day needs like appointments and outings
- Respite time to give at-home caregivers a break
- Bereavement / grief support after the death of a loved one.
Families may contact hospice office directly or ask a doctor, home care provider or hospital staff to contact hospice on their behalf.
Nelson & District Hospice Society oversees hospice services in Nelson (from Balfour to Slocan City) and the East Shore of Kootenay Lake.
All services are free.
NDHS provides an annual training program for hospice volunteers that complies with the BCHPCA standards, as well as additional grief support training and monthly volunteer enhancement gatherings.
List of services and programs offered (optional):
- Day Hospice program, weekly.
- Individual client visits in home, hospital or residential care.
- Vigil support, 24/7, for the last few days of life.
- Weekly drop-in grief support group on Monday evenings, from 6:30 – 8:30.
- One on one grief support.
- AddressBox 194, Nelson, BC V1L5P9
- LocationBalfour, British Columbia, East Shore, British Columbia, Harrop, British Columbia, Nelson, British Columbia, North Shore, British Columbia, Proctor, British Columbia
- TagsHospice, Palliative care, Support
- By Author
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org